Thursday, January 6, 2011

Love in an Elevator: The Anniversary Post

I met Scot the second day of my freshman year of college.

That morning I stepped onto my dorm elevator to go to my first Intro to Physical Therapy class (because I was a physical therapy major for about five minutes).  As I stood on the crowded elevator, I overheard some guy say that he was going to Intro to Physical Therapy, too.  I looked up, way up, to see dark brown eyes peeking out from under a white Missouri hat.

       "I'm going to that class, too, " I said.
        "Can I walk you?"  Some Guy said.
        "Sure," I responded. 

"Some Guy" turned out to be Scot, and I was already impressed. Seriously, what 18-year-old guy politely asks a girl if he can walk her to class?

So Scot and I walked to class and talked and laughed. Then we sat and talked all through class.  (Dad, it was just an Intro to Physical Therapy pass/fail class. No tuition dollars wasted. Unless you consider that I have never been a physical therapist.)

Anyway.

We dated. He taught me to love football and I taught him to tolerate sorority parties. We hung out with each other's friends.  We drank coffee and studied at Memorial Union.  I cheered him on in intramural sports.  We sat on the columns and the balcony of our dorm and talked until the wee morning hours. He gave blood for me during Greek Week after I nearly passed out.  We had some of the best times of our lives together.

As poor college students, cheap dates were a must. We often took long walks through campus together.  One of our favorite places on campus was Peace Park. Rumor had it that if you walked over the little bridge in the park with your date, you would marry that person. We walked over it many, many times.

Before long we were completely inseperable and I knew he was "the one." He made me laugh. He was always so thoughtful and kind and good to me. He was my best friend. I knew I never, ever wanted to be without him.

Winter of our senior year he got down on one knee and proposed on the bridge we'd crossed so many times together. I cried my eyes out.

And ten years ago today we got married!



(Me throwing the bouquet over everyone's head and into the fireplace in the back.)

So, happy anniversary, Scot! What an amazing 10 years. We've moved five times, lived in three states, gotten degrees, changed careers and had babies.  I can't wait to see what else life has for us.

I thank God for you every single day. 

And I'm so glad we were too lazy to take the steps.

6 comments:

  1. So Cute!!! I love the grainy pre-digital camera pictures!!!!! Brian and I have a ton of those too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary!! Congratulations to both of you!
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post! Sounds like you have had a great day of reflection :-) What a wonderful time in your lives, both back then and through the years since. You two are definitely made for each other, two of my favorite people! Love you both! Happy 10th Anniversary--have a great weekend together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. CONGRATULATIONS!!! 10 years! Woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad we were too lazy to take the steps.

    YOU are a freakin' HOOT!!!

    Happy Anniversary you two!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How did I miss this before? Beautiful, Amy. I teared up reading it. Two wonderful people perfectly made for each other.

    ReplyDelete